In 1998, The DEED Foundation was established by the Kansas City, MO Alumnae Chapter as a non-profit 501(c) 3 organization. The business affairs of DEED are managed by a Board of Directors who are members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. The Foundation works with the KCMO Alumnae Chapter in providing educational and economic development opportunities in our community.
Delta Educational and Economic Development (DEED) Foundation was designed to help strengthen and expand the economic stability of the urban community and help empower our community through education.
Listed below are The DEED Foundation programs that are performed in collaboration with Kansas City Missouri Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.:
- DEED partners with Kansas City Missouri Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. to support the Cotillion youth development and scholarship program which awards several thousand dollars in scholarship to selected high school seniors each year. The program provides a variety of workshops and activities to help prepare high school seniors for college and beyond. The program is about six months and provides various workshops in the area of time management, interviewing tips, financial management and healthy choices. The program also includes a Black College Tour to expose our youth to historical Black Colleges and Universities.
- DEED partners with the Kansas City Missouri Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. to successfully implement an annual Youth Retreat. The purpose of the youth retreat is to inspire and motivate young ladies to strive for strong mental and physical health as well as continuous spiritual growth. The workshops provide life lessons in budgeting, personal hygiene and attire, stress drivers and relievers, healthy living and eating, and Godly choices.
- DEED partners with the Kansas City Missouri Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. to support the Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy and the Delta GEMS (Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully) programs; both programs focus on young girls and consist of workshops, guest speakers and field trips to help promote self confidence, high academics (math, science and technology), positive social interaction, economic empowerment through education and emphases the importance of serving the community.
- DEED partners with Kansas City Missouri Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. to support the Burning Sands Step Show, the premier Alumni Greek Step Show in the Mid-West. The funds raised help support our mission to continue to extend our community reach to empower and educate our community.
- DEED partners with the Kansas City Missouri Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. to support the EMBODI (Empowering Males to Build Opportunities for Developing Independence) program which is designed to refocus the efforts of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. with the support and action of other major organizations, on the plight of African-American males. EMBODI is designed to address these issues through dialogue, and recommendations for change and action.
You may contribute to The DEED Foundation by choosing a specific program area or by making a general donation below. Your generous gift ensures we can provide continued community services for education and economic development.
The Delta Educational and Economic
Development (DEED) Foundation
Charlotte William-Rice, President
P O Box 16381
Kansas City, MO 64112-6381